The annual Turkey Bowl has become a holiday tradition for many families and friends. Neither snow nor rain hampers the call for some friendly competition or sibling rivalry. It can be challenging to feed the brunch crowd while you’re trying to prepare the perfect Thanksgiving feast. Worry no more. We have 5 simple brunch ideas to satisfy your Turkey Bowl gang. Best of all – most can be made ahead and baked during the game, so you can catch all the plays. Whether your team gets the trophy or not, you get bragging rights for the next 364 days on the most incredible Turkey Bowl brunch.
1. Cornbread Strata– Ingredients needed: cornbread, 1 cup FUNacho salsa, ¼ cup FUNacho jalapenos, 7 oz. cheese sauce (2 mild FUNacho cups), 1 can drained black beans, 1 cup frozen corn, 1 roll sausage cooked and crumbled, 8 eggs, 2 cups milk, ½ teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup cilantro, pinch of black pepper.
To make this recipe as simple as possible, we use store-bought cornbread. Thanksgiving dinner is homemade, so it’s ok to save time and energy on Turkey Day brunch. Grease a 9 x13 baking dish. Cut cornbread into 1-inch cubes and place into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle cooked and crumbled sausage onto cornbread. Pour can of black beans (drained) over the top of the sausage. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over beans. Layer frozen corn over cilantro. Drizzle salsa over everything you’ve layered. Pour cheese sauce on top of everything. In a separate bowl, whisk together 8 eggs and 2 cups of milk with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over everything in baking dish. Place jalapenos on top. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for about one hour.
2. Corn Cakes with Salsa– Ingredients Needed: 1bag (16 oz.) frozen corn, 5 scallions diced, ¼ cup FUNacho jalapeno peppers chopped, 1 cup FUNacho Salsa, 2 large eggs, ¼ cup milk, 7 oz cheese sauce (2 mild FUNacho cups), 1 lime, 1 cup flour, pinch of salt.
Grease a non-stick skillet. Cut off tops and bulbs of scallions and discard. Cut remaining scallion into 1-inch pieces. Pulse the scallion and jalapenos in food processor to chop lightly. Place corn in microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 4 minutes. Pour scallion pepper mixture over corn. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, milk, cheese, flour and salt. Pour egg mixture over corn mixture. Mix well. With a large spoon, drop the batter onto the skillet. Fry until each side is golden brown. Top with FUNacho salsa.
3. Egg Muffins with Salsa and Roasted Red Pepper– Ingredients: 12 eggs, ½ cup salsa, 3 oz cheese sauce (1 spicy FUNacho cup), ¼ cup FUNacho jalapenos, 1 red bell pepper diced, 1 yellow bell pepper diced, 1 bunch diced scallions, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper.
Heavily grease all sides of muffin tins. Grease a skillet and sauté the bell peppers until soft. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the sautéed peppers and all other ingredients. Pour the egg mixture into muffin tins. Be sure not to overfill. They will expand during the bake. Bake on 350 for 20 minutes. Cool and refrigerate. Warm at game time. Garnish with scallions.
4. Cheesy Potato and Sausage Skillet – Ingredients: 1 roll sausage (cooked and crumbled), ½ diced yellow onion, 1 bag refrigerated diced potatoes, 10 oz. cheese sauce (3 mild FUNacho cups), pinch of salt, pinch of pepper and FUNacho jalapenos to taste.
Grease skillet. Brown sausage and set aside. Drain 2/3 of the grease. In remaining grease, sauté onions until soft. Add potatoes. Cook for 6-8 minutes until potatoes are brown. Add sausage back to skillet. Pour cheese sauce over top. Cook another 4-5 minutes stirring frequently. Serve as a side dish, or over your favorite breakfast bread. Garnish with jalapenos.
5. Cranberry Salsa to Top Everything– Ingredients Needed: 2 bags fresh cranberries, 1 cup sugar, 2 bunches cilantro, 2 bunches scallions, juice of 3 limes, ¼ cup FUNacho jalapenos. Blend all ingredients together in food processor. Refrigerate overnight. Enjoy on all your brunch treats, favorite bakery breads or with your favorite chips and crackers as an appetizer before dinner.